homestead - Re: [Homestead] Craft wood, purchase or harvest and process

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Craft wood, purchase or harvest and process
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 08:44:13 -0700

On Feb 4, 2009, at 5:48 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Oh well, my sons are taking somewhat of an interest in the trade and the
trees are assets on the root as it were.

Ah, good for you. Hope they develop even more interest.

I did the rough milling on enough black walnut for three more pieces today.
The resawing (with a power saw, I'm really becoming a wimp) threw up enough
fine dust to just about choke me to death.

That walnut dust can literally kill you.

What are you going to make with that cherry wood?

Unlimited possibilities. Originally thought kitchen cabinets. Not now. The planed boards will be very carefully stored when I dissemble the living room office configuration. The rough stuff needs to be re- stacked in the wood drying shed. The front screen door is of it and remains sound. It would make good solid doors. I can see a rocking chair for Farm Woman!. Perhaps family heirloom furniture for great- grandchildren. As long as it is protected it will wait for any project. I gave it some thought and think it was actually twenty-four years ago that I bought it. My kind of investment. I would far rather have good wood in the shed than gold in a bank.

Gene GeRue
www.RURALIZE.com