homestead - Re: [Homestead] Anybody here???

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Anybody here???
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 14:37:22 -0500

My 50-gallon trough has been solid ice to the brim since early January. I brought out my smaller waterers and have to dump them as soon at the animals have had enough to drink so they don't freeze, too. I've worked out a routine to deal with the cold...put the charger on the tractor, feed the chickens and water the animals, then start the tractor and get hay. Today the tractor almost got stuck in the new snow drifts, even with a 900 pound bale on the back for weight. Everything takes so much longer and more energy when it's cold with a lot of ice and snow.

It's supposed to be WARM (up to 40) tomorrow, but we're getting another snowstorm on Tuesday, with more cold behind it. This has been an endlessly cold winter; we usually get a week of thawing once in a while throughout the winter, but not this year.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>