homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hello from Montana

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: outwest4us AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hello from Montana
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:00:57 -0800

At 1/19/2009 09:17 AM,outwest4us AT yahoo.com wrote:
My name is Rene' and I live on a small ranch in the mountains (actually in the valley between 2 mountain ranges) of SW Montana with my husband and 2 children.

We have horses fie pleasure but its getting expensive...price if hay is ridiculous here. We used to have chickens but its just too cold most of the year here, even with heated coops, so we gave up. :-(

Welcome!
I was in Bemidji Minnesota for 6 years and kept chickens the whole time in an unheated, not insulated chicken house with no real problems. Chickens are as easy or as complex as you want to make them.
Good ventilation, no drafts, deep bedding and I did have electricity to keep the water liquid in the long winter. Frozen eggs were a problem

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA