homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes, for the seriously space challenged

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes, for the seriously space challenged
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:47:52 -0800

I set this aside and meant to answer it awhile ago. Well, duh, a long while
ago but life got in the way. I have a net friend who uses these or rather
the non-store bought version. We're going to add some of these to the
garden this year to make double use of the space and because it is just one
more way to grow stuff where the only soil to speak of is rocks! Here's a
link to her blog and pictures of how she hangs them. For the full story,
click on the "Older Posts" links.

http://littlehouseinthebigsuburb.blogspot.com/

Now, I'm not going to leave my buckets open, I'm going to put the lids back
on them with a small hole drilled in it for the neck of the soda bottle used
for watering.

Lynda

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a
cross"...Upton Sinclair

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

My neighbor lady told me about this a while back (yes, the lady who
will hereafter be known as She Who Removed The Tick From Gene's
Navel)--growing tomatoes upside down in a container. In her version,
someone was using a five-gallon bucket. Here, the offering is a
commercial container. Even for those of us with unlimited land, it
would be interesting to experiment. For instance, I would like to
verify that soil-borne diseases could thus be completely thwarted. And
who would not like to eliminate building supports and affixing growing
vines year after year. For those of us who rotate crops, those
supports have to be moved. So I consider putting a line of supports
down the middle of each long bed. But then it's in the way of
preparing the soil and tending other crops that don't profit from
supports. On the other hand, building supports from which to hang
eighty-pound tomato-growing containers would be a substantial task, too.

Here is a site that describes the process and sells the containers:

http://www.gardeners.com/Gardener+s+Revolution+Planter/PotsPlanters_HangingPlanters,37-000,default,cp.html?SC=XNET8019

Go to the Instructions PDF for more info.