homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes, for the seriously space challenged

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes, for the seriously space challenged
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:15:46 -0800

We thought about that and DH and I thought we'd take some old shade cloth
and make a cover for the first two feet and that way the bucket wouldn't be
in direct sun. I grow lots of stuff in pots now because of the moles,
gophers and rocks, so we shall see if this works. And, since I always end
up with more tomato plants than I know what to do with, it won't be a big
loose.

Lynda

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright till
you hear them speak.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>

I experimented with this the year before last and it was a disaster. I
did not buy the official product, but made my own from recyclables too.
For areas with high temps such as ours, the roots just baked to death
and the tomato plants suffered and eventually died without providing
fruit.