homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes, for the seriously space challenged

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes, for the seriously space challenged
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 16:24:16 -0800 (PST)

Everyone around me grows tomatoes in the desert.  They all seem to do the
same thing.  Start them indoors a month ahead of time in small pots.  And
when the go to transplant outside, they lay them near horizontal on the
ground and cover up most of the steam (to encourage more rooting).  And
nobody stakes them up - to help keep humidity around the plants and keep lots
of foliage around/over the 'matoes --- the opposite of what you'd do in other
places.

I had bought some of those upside down hanging things that I was going to
grow tomatos in when I moved here.  Ha ! No way, the wind was too strong.
But maybe I can find a place on the east side (non-windy most of the time) of
my parents house and experiment with them.  Or maybe use them in the fall
when the wind is lower..... as long as I remember to water water water.....