homestead - [Homestead] Chiggers

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Chiggers
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 06:13:47 -0700

On Jan 15, 2009, at 8:05 PM, Robert Walton wrote:

Before I even get to the point of trying nail polish, I end up digging
them out with my nails.

A touch of bleach and they are dead and the bite is disinfected.

I once had such a batch of bites that I was itching all over. I ran a tub of cool water, poured in a cup of bleach and bathed in it. Did the job.

The best thing is to keep grass and weeds mowed very short wherever you walk.

I wonder what pioneers did. What were their reactions to all these new
and inescapable bugs?

Mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, no-see-ums, they had them all. They suffered. I've seen old photos where the people had slathered mud all over their bodies in an effort for relief.

I wonder if they thought to do mud wrestling.