homestead - [Homestead] Master Plan was Firewood cutting underway

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Master Plan was Firewood cutting underway
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:52:38 -0500

> Rob, have you drawn a master plan for your property?

No, not on paper. I've got a pretty good idea in my head.

Back field pasture, middle field crop rotation. Front field (7 acres
or so) is just goat pasture I've not touched yet, but I'm starting to
get a grasp on how do divide that up. Some areas are sloped and should
be permanent pasture. I've got a few areas of woods that are dedicated
to pines, the rest, I favor hardwoods.

To tell you the truth, until last year, it was a bit overwhelming,
especially since all of my open land needed to be reworked in order to
pasture or plant it. Topography is a driving force on the slopes.

I'd like to hear ideas on how to get a master plan on paper. I'm not
good at that sort of thing. Like to keep it all in my head.

Rob - Va