homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cutting back

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cutting back
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 13:41:43 -0500

We had no TV for the first three years we moved here. It was good
because, like you say it really promoted family time. The guy who rented
across the street was a satellite installer, and installed our dish at
no charge. He actually paid our bill for two years in exchange for some
furniture. We had just 'gotten TV' again when 9/11 occurred. Like you,
I had missed the news-I was, and still am, a news junkie. Watching 9/11
unfold and experiencing that, changed my mind about the 'need' for TV.
I don't see it as a necessity, but I value it more than I used to. We
live so far out from town and in such a terrain that we can't even get
radio except in the middle of the night. We have always been on a bare
bones entertainment budget. I can't remember the last time I saw a
movie in the theatre. We have eaten out three times in 6 months, and
two of those times were as a guest of friends/family. The one time we
ate out on our own dime was a trip to Waffle House. So, when only Ron
works, we don't go out, we don't eat out, and TV is our only
entertainment, our link to the rest of the world. We don't even rent
movies. If I had high speed internet and could watch video, I might
ditch the TV because I know a lot can be seen online now....but dialing
up at 26kbps doesn't allow that.
When I called Dish, I intended to stop service, but the option of at
least having some television was too tempting, and cost wise, it is a
good deal for us now.
I do have one holdover habit from the days of no tv...I rely solely on
the internet for weather prediction. I have found wunderground to be
more reliable than any other site, or any other meteorologist on TV.

Bev

rayzentz AT aim.com wrote:
We turned off our TV, cable, dish, what-have-you, over two years ago.
We have a vcr, with which we watch movies with the kids on occasion.
Our whole family no longer watches TV programming at all. I still miss the news, but not so much anymore.

We have found that we are closer as a family,and do more things together.

I also have more "free" time

Ray

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."