homestead - Re: [Homestead] Lima bean (& Gumbo & rain, Now) soup weather

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Lima bean (& Gumbo & rain, Now) soup weather
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 10:28:55 -0800 (PST)

The prefernce is probably geographical, Lynn. I don't remember ever being
served split pea soup as a youngster. It was either Lima or navy bean,
almost always one of those two.

I just finished what is difficult for a lot of people to do. I just finished
the base of a big shrimp and oyster gumbo. I got the roux the color of dark
, dark, swamp mud without any burns in the roux (one pretty bad burn on me
thoug -- my stirring hand-- even though my roux pot has 11 inch high sides.)

When I starting throwing tyhe minced vegetables into the roiling, boiling,
roux, it gave off steam like a valve pipe had disrupted. Once I had all of
the vegetables in I could turn the pot of vegetables and roux with a wooden
spoon like it was a live organism. I did all of that in just over an hour. I
'll put the crab boil in in a while after it simmers more; bought a bunch of
U.S. wild gulf shrimp, 26 - 30 count, on sale before Christmas, and 3 jars
of oysters.

I only make gumbo about twice a year. My wife doen't know how; my gumbo
style is part Cajun and part Southern. I was taught by Mama, southern roux
making, and taught by girls in Loisiana, their way -- I combine.

I can make a mean etouffe , also; but you can't get decent crawfish out here.

Anyway, it started rainy, it is still cool weather, and I have soup 'and'
gumbo going.

If I trusted them, I'd go eat half one of the jars of oysters , raw, out of
the fridge. You shouldn't trust any raw oysters, though. My grandfather was
almost killed by that bacteria that you hget from eating raw oysters; 'spent
over a week in the hospital and was sick as h*ll for several weeks.