homestead - Re: [Homestead] Small farms Changing

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Small farms Changing
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 08:51:18 -0500

I wondered about the exotic animals bit. I know, out here, ostrich and emu ranching went bust a while back and the ranchers donated their animals to the sheriff to serve inmates (cheaper to donate than to feed- for some reason, no customers to buy them?). Do you feed your cows any corn? >Why do the commercials and ads say "corn-fed beef"?

They didn't develop a market for ostrich and emu before they started raising them. It was a little too exotic for American tastes. Nobody was buying the meat...I can't even talk people here into eating lamb. If it ain't beef, they don't want it.

Corn-fed is still the standard. Corn makes marbled fat in steaks (and people's arteries). If there is no marbled fat, a steak can't even get a USDA grade (prime, choice, etc.).

I don't feed any grain. I tried using it to lure my beefies into the shipping pen, but they didn't even know what it was, and weren't interested. My beef is all very lean, but more tender and flavorful than any USDA-graded steak I've ever had. Grass-fed beef is full of CLA, omega-3, and other things that are good for you.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA