homestead - [Homestead] Killing rats, was Hatching Round 2

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Killing rats, was Hatching Round 2
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 19:10:15 -0600

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 5:33 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

<<The .22 with tiny pellets is what I buy as rat shot. It works great for
snakes, too. In the summer, I alternatively load, 2 rat, one Federal.
If it is a rat, one shot suffices, If it is a rattlesnake, I use all
three, just to be sure.>>

On another list, someone posted this link to what looks to be an
efficient rodent killer:
http://www.ratzapper.com/. Despite being a many-cat person (not by
conscience design, trust me), I've never worried about using the
warfarin-based rat poisons (even the cats would have to eat a number
of rats to poison themselves, and the dogs are safe), but it would be
nice to have them die where I can find the corpses (not a given with
poison). Has anyone used the device?

My low-tech solution was 5-gallon buckets with a little grain or dog
food in the bottom, but those don't work for rats, and alas, I have
rat years (and this was one).

Marie, who sometimes feels that she lives in a rare ecological niche

  • [Homestead] Killing rats, was Hatching Round 2, Marie McHarry, 12/19/2008