homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dehybridizing

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dehybridizing
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 07:44:09 -0700

On Dec 17, 2008, at 7:06 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Is the chicken hickory stump hardy and canny enough to evade foxes
and hawks?

Please decipher hickory stump meaning here.

Never say never, and distain no tool in the box, but overall it seems that
the mindset of hybridization goes hand in hand with monocropping and
agribusiness.

That is clearly true for commercial crops, perhaps most notably corn, but it seems to me that seed produced for and sold to gardeners is designed for home growers of small plots. The value of hybrid veggies for me is not only their reliable taste and size qualities but their resistance to disease. Think fusarium wilt in tomatoes.

That said, I will continue to work toward a sustainable food production design using open-pollinated varieties that is independent of commercial seed companies.