homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dehybridizing

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dehybridizing
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:30:18 -0800

Redkoop, Red Drumhead (Seeds of Change is where I got mine), Red Acre (try victory seed company), Lasso (haven't tried that one up here). I haven't been able to find the Redkoop seeds the last couple of years. It is too hot here to grow any early cabbage but grew the Ruby Ball when we lived on the coast.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

As an example, I've only found one variety of red OP red cabbage readily
available, Mamoth Red Rock (I'd be grateful for any other types and sources).
I've grown six hybrid varieties and they were all pretty good, did OK. But the
OP always does better. I've got two big heads of it still in the fidge and
doing fine. On mediocre ground the MRR does passably but nothing to write home
about. But in the beds where there is several years of dedicated compost, as
when I first bring the in situ compost heaps back into production, the MRR
makes an impressively large dense head (much like the gardener's). The hybirds
just do OK as if they don't know what to do with all that humus.