homestead - [Homestead] First Fire of the Season

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: cvclifford78 AT yahoo.com
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org, dianedelaceppede AT gmail.com, stripperjonn AT hotmail.com, SLYSPI AT aol.com
  • Subject: [Homestead] First Fire of the Season
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 21:30:31 EST

I am so blown away!

Electric heaters be damned. I know there are those of you out there who are
quite used to this lifestyle, but I am just now getting acclimated, after
almost four years.

Impending rain - and snow - here in the desert (it snowed in Barstow today!)
prompted me to bring in a bunch of the firewood I'd begun stacking several
weeks ago - didn't finish, as I had to go to the hospital coupla times. Much
wasted time. Lots of bad advice. Another whole story. ;(

Lemme tell ya! Ain't nothing compares to a good old-fashioned wood stove,
thanks to my sincerely revered landlord, Jon!

It is not often that I have to go looking for the boxes of wooden matches.
Everything nowadays is 'click' and it's going already. There is something to
be
said for the manual labor part of life. In my mind, this all ties in to
recent discussions on fitness...

I would not trade this woodstove for central heat or central air
conditioning (although the latter might be debatable considering I'm
post-menopausal and
grumpy and uncomfortable from the git-go - ask me again in July) - the cats
are all amazed - all of a sudden they don't have to gather themselves up in
a body-warmth-sharing heap in the middle of the bed, only to be
unsanctimoniously (sp?) scraped off in one fell swoop when I decide I'm
sleepy.

My very nice neighbor from across the street asked a while back if I wanted
to sell the new woodstove that's sitting out in one of Jon's boxcars. I had
decline, since that particular stove was a Christmas gift from my daughter
and yes, I do have plans for it. When Jon comes home in April, we are going
swap out the stove I have now for the new one that was a gift. It is of a
different configuration, but he has a great knowledge of stovepipes, and
drafts
and such. I trust that it will be properly done.

Hadda share.

Sandy
Mid-Mojave
Who watched the sun going down to the west, and the Newberry/Rodman
Mountains to the south bedazzled with snow-capped peaks, glinting all the
colors of
the rainbow -

favorite sites in one place. Try it now. (htt
p://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

  • [Homestead] First Fire of the Season, Bunjov, 12/15/2008