homestead - [Homestead] Type of gas can (fuel container) about to be outlawed

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Type of gas can (fuel container) about to be outlawed
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:47:36 -0800 (PST)

I have no idea of the relevance of this to any on the list, but I thought I
would post just in case; I ran across it reading another link from another
link, etc. The EPA is amking a ceratin type of fuel container/carrier to be
henceforth banned.

" I've selfishly held off posting this to prevent my cans from getting sniped
while my order was delayed by waiting for an unrelated item, but since I got
a shipping notice today, I figured I should clue you all in while there is
still time.

Some of you may be aware of this already, but the EPA is forcing all portable
fuel containers sold in the USA to comply with CARB (california air resources
board) standards as of January 1, 2009. This means that as of that date, all
you will be able to buy is the shitty gas jugs with the shitty threaded spout
with the automatic shut off valve that doesn't pour worth a damn. I
discovered this last week when I went to order a couple of the good NATO
style jugs for use on my Jeep, and I asked about the NATO style water jugs,
which their website showed as being out of stock. He said that the
manufacturer of the cans (Wedco) had stopped manufacture of the old style,
which would not be available after Dec. 31. After I placed my order, I
checked Google, and sure enough, he was right. I called back and increased my
order, to what seems like a lot of cans now, but in 20 years I will probably
be wishing I had bought more of them.

This is the site I ordered my cans from. It is worth a read even if you don't
intend to buy anything, because it tells about the history of the original
style Jerry can dating back to before World War II. I imagine you'll still be
able to buy these as surplus or used, but if you want NEW NATO style gas
cans, this month is basically your last chance if you live in the USA. If you
live in one of the states that has adopted CARB regulations, then you may
already be screwed, unless you can have them shipped to a friend in a non
CARB state.

These are expensive, but personally after a plastic can failed on me 2-3
weeks ago, causing a trip to the ER to have my left eye flushed out, I am
through with plastic fuel containers. And the "Blitz" US style metal cans
like the hardware stores carry just plain suck (they're prone to leaking, and
pour slowly due to bad venting). In a way, the accident was a blessing in
disguise, because while I had meant to order some of these cans, I would have
procrastinated and they would have been unavailable by the time I got around
to ordering any.

“Maybe Jesus was right when he said that the meek shall inherit the earth—but
they inherit very small plots, about six feet by three.” --Robert A. Heinlein
"

http://www.theguncounter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2682

  • [Homestead] Type of gas can (fuel container) about to be outlawed, bob ford, 12/15/2008