homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cherry question

  • From: DSanner106 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cherry question
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:46:50 EST

The Hansen are a little bigger and more versatile. As far as sweet cherries
in your area though, have you tried Miller Nurseries in NY? They are online,
sell for all zones and have a variety, also, search for orchards and
nurseries in Michigan. They were the largest cherry producing state, still
are I
think and do have sweet cherries there.

Drew

In a message dated 12/14/2008 6:35:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com writes:

>I don't like cherries and don't know anything about growing them, but; in
>cold weather areas like yours, apples should grow well. I have seen old
>heirloom type apple trees with apples about the same size as cherries and
>real thorny (I mean dangerously thorny) limbs. They trees are not large
>like a regular apple or peach tree. They were called 'hog apples' , but i
>don't know their real name; but they were tasty....

I have apple trees (some heirloom), peach and pear trees. I want to add a
couple cherry trees; I prefer sweet cherries, but I think I'm a little too
far north. I've hear of some pie cherries coming out of Canada that are as
sweet as sweet cherries, but I can't track down a source.

The tree you describe sounds like a Hawthorn tree; it's related to apples. I
have a couple on my property, but they are old and not producing well. The
fruit are called "haws".

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA