homestead - [Homestead] Such a Sense of Urgency...

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Such a Sense of Urgency...
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:50:19 EST

Just curious - such a flood of homestead emails the past few days!

Makes me wonder about the Daylight Savings thing - I know it's a 'manmade
issue', and so I've always discounted it as rubbish, and as one more instance
of
humans messing with Mother Nature. But -

Does anyone else feel the horrible pressure of shorter days? The irony of
all this being...I have been going to bed earlier (say, 7-8 p.m.) and waking
at
my normal 1-2:30 a.m., but...going back to bed just as the sun breaks
through the trees to the east, and all the indoor critters are just getting
started, waiting for me to open doors and windows - and I feel compelled to
re-wrap
myself up in my fuzzy blankets and return to total oblivion.

Something is not right here.

Is it true, this concept of 'winter depression? There's a name for it -
starts with an 'S', but I can't remember it. If it IS a reality, then do
those of
us on the list, who live in the northern parts of the world, suffer from this
more than those of us who live in the southern and western areas?

The depression is not the worst part. I am increasingly 'antsy' about
leaving the house - at all - to do anything. Driving into town now, to keep
doctors' appointments, and even do the simplest of shopping, have become
major
endeavors. Scary. Could this be some sort of primal urge to hibernate until
the
days grow longer and 'things' start to grow again (including myself)?

Please don't laugh at my questions.

And we haven't heard from Don yet. His input - because he is such a 'reader'
- is always welcome.

Sandy
Mid-Mojave
Yawning and stretching at almost 11:00 a.m. and wondering where the day has
gone. What a waste.