homestead - Re: [Homestead] Such a Sense of Urgency...

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Such a Sense of Urgency...
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:19:37 -0500

Bunjov AT aol.com wrote:

Is it true, this concept of 'winter depression? There's a name for it
- starts with an 'S', but I can't remember it.

SAD Seasonal Affective Disorder

It is a reality...our bodies are used to a certain amount of sunlight
and when that light goes away, our chemistries change and melatonin
increases-making you want to sleep- and of course, you also become
'depressed'. It affects people who live closer to the poles, both north
and south, more than the equator. East and West is rather irrelevant...

If it IS a reality, then do those of
us on the list, who live in the northern parts of the world, suffer from this more than those of us who live in the southern and western areas?

The depression is not the worst part. I am increasingly 'antsy' about
leaving the house - at all - to do anything. Driving into town now, to keep doctors' appointments, and even do the simplest of shopping, have become major endeavors. Scary. Could this be some sort of primal
urge to hibernate until the days grow longer and 'things' start to grow again (including myself)?

It could be, especially since you live closer to nature, but most
'authorities' would say you have the beginnings of an anxiety disorder.
I know exactly how you feel because I get it too...For me, it manifests
as trying to be prepared(I want to fill up the gas tank, load the porch
with wood, etc.)
I get in that hunker down mentality quite often in the wintertime.
Ironically, it also seems to happen to me in mid summer... For me, I
feel at my peak, with the most energy, in the Spring and Fall...

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda