homestead - Re: [Homestead] Intro?? was wooden bowls

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Intro?? was wooden bowls
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 00:40:10 -0500

kristopher p bacon wrote:
On Thu Nov 27 23:52:09 EST 2008 erthnsky AT bellsouth.net wrote;

"Kris, Welcome, and it is nice to see a fresh face here. I'm glad
youaren't shy. Why don't us a little about yourself?"

Thank you for asking. Part time semirural homesteader who is not
giving up his day job. Grand parents were citrus growers and dairy
farmers but mom and dad wanted nothing to do with that "backwards"
life style so I had to start from scatch.

I think this hankering to homestead stuff may skip a generation.
My stepmother's parents-my stepgrandparents-ran a Minute Maid grove near Stuart in the 1960's and 1970's. I was 4 the first time I went there(circa 1965), and one of my worst childhood memories is there...BUT, the rest of the trip, and subsequent ones, were fun and cool. We/they fished in the irrigation canals, killed and cut up gators for meat, and basically lived off the land, even though they were running the groves...That orange grove was miles across, too. When I was about 9, one of my stepuncles came back from Vietnam and bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle...Raymond was one of the few of that family that was nice to me..he put me on the back of that bike and we created huge dust clouds in the groves...it was so much fun for this deprived kid..when we stopped, at a control valve station for the canals, Raymond almost stepped on a water moccasin...that may have actually be the first time I saw a snake, too...
In the other stepfamily, my great-grandparents, there was a PET dairy farm down in Tifton GA....they always had calves we could bottle feed...it was interesting to me, and fun.
Did you spend a lot of time with your grandparents? Do you think that has influenced your desire to homestead?

Husband, Father,
Mechanic/Technician. Spent lots of years repairing electronic devices
before they became throwaway items. Now work in the Power Generation
industry, turning wrenches. Growing food in Florida's sandy soil
takes more work than you could imagine so I don't check my computer
very often and I now have what seems like several hundred emails from
homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org. to read.

It's been busy lately, but I think it is calming down somewhat now.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda