homestead - [Homestead] Y2K

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Y2K
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 06:34:52 -0800 (PST)

James certainly writes thought provoking emails.  I woke up this a/m thinking
about the Y2K comment posted by James last night. It must have rolling around
in my head all night while I was sleeping.

I can't find the email for the exact quote, but the substance of the email
was that IT people knew that Y2K was nothing to worry about.

If I understood the substance of his comment correctly... I would have to
conclude the IT people conned business into spending billions of dollars to
upgrade their software, so that the IT people could obtain wealth thru
deception.  They cheated.  This, in part, caused the 2000 Nasdaq bubble and a
great transfer of wealth away from many citizens.

Not much different than the current transfer of wealth based on deception -
the deception that lenders allowed people to believe they could actually pay
those mortgages back, and that the investors they sold the mortgages to were
actually receiving something of value, and ditto for the real estate flippers.