homestead - Re: [Homestead] bev - Potato Q - and Sage

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: cayadopi AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] bev - Potato Q - and Sage
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 00:16:11 -0500

Leslie wrote:
Bev,

I've got to replace some of my truck tires in the next couple weeks
here.

What did you use to cut the sidewalls off to make the "potato tire
patches".

I used a sawzall with a metal blade.

How many potato eyes/seeds do you put in each tire?

In a car tire, 5 or so...

Do the potato vines spill out of the tire?

Not until you have a full stack..as the vine grows out of the tire, when
it is about a foot long, add a tire and more mulch, soil, or
whathaveyou, leaving about 4-6 inches of the potato vine above the
soil..keep doing that as tall as the number of tires you have or as high
as you can reach/lift.

What is the real reason for growing them in tires?

Laziness.
:)
Seriously....no digging..

I've never grown sweet potatoes in tires, though...I grow them in the
ground or more recently in my raised beds. I don't see any reason why
you couldn't grow them in tires, but they would definitely spill over
the tires, kudzu like, at least here they would.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda