homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for bartering?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for bartering?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 06:22:31 -0700

On Dec 8, 2008, at 5:57 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Beer doesn't keep like rum does.

Alas, that is true. But apparently it keeps better than I thought. I happened across an article on a beer site that explained that some of the craft beers now being made do in fact keep for some years, and it was stated that some actually improve in taste. As far as I could tell, a primary key was a higher alcohol content. Works for me.

I had left a few six-packs of beer in the Heartwood basement when I left for Phoenix in late 2007. When I returned this spring I found it was very good. So I am confident that six months storage works under those conditions.

For years? It is difficult to test the premise that good beer will last for years in storage.

As for accepting beer for barter, I would of course need to carefully test the product for quality. Randomly choose several from those offered, then take plenty of time to be sure they were good. Potatoes for beer, I like the concept.

Should anyone produce a big batch of which they are especially proud, you are welcome to submit them for my consideration. I might even make you a pizza.