homestead - Re: [Homestead] frozen stock tank, was: The next Secretary of Agriculture

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] frozen stock tank, was: The next Secretary of Agriculture
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:33:54 -0500

I keep a "walking stick" near the tank and use it to break up to two
inches of ice. If it's frozen solid it's another matter. We used an
electric de-icer (and a long extension cord) but on cold days it would
still freeze up to it.

I have a large pick ax to break up the ice. It gradually ices up from the bottom and sides, the open area getting smaller and smaller. I missed breaking it up for about 24 hours, and it froze too solid to break up. It's warm enough today that I might get it cleaned out and start over. I may have to resort to a heater, but there's no outlet anywhere near there. I've seen some nice solar-heated waterers, but they are pricey.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA