homestead - Re: [Homestead] gold back currency anyone?

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] gold back currency anyone?
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 23:56:25 -0800 (PST)

James wrote:  "This cycle has played out many, many times in history
including in this
country in the 1930's.  It points out that the gold never had an intrinsic
value,
but rather depened on the hope that the government would reestablish and
enforce a monetary policy giving the gold a value."

Hmmm,,,,,

The value of gold currently is not established by any government in the
world.

No government in the world currently uses gold to back their currency.

Central Bankers do use force to manipulate the price down - to keep the
competition away from the brand of currency that Central Bankers want to
establish as valuable and push on the public whether they want to use it or
not.

And yet gold trades every day and has a priced value established between two
traders, without any hope that the governments or Central Bankers will
re-establish a gold standard, and regardless of what use they intend to put
it to - whether jewelry or a paperweight.

While there are some gold bugs who wish for the re-establishment of a gold
backed currency, the authors of most of the articles I've read really don't
have any hope of that.  They only believe that at some point in time, they
will be able to trade their gold for whatever non-gold backed currency
exists, at a value established between two traders.  And they hope to trade
the gold for a higher value, while knowing it may be for a lesser value.

As to intrinsic value.  I can't think of any intrinsic value to gold.  You
can't grow food on it, you can't eat it, etc.

Value of things are established by man or men for either personal use or
trade.  (Of course animals have their own way of valuing things, as do
plants... LOL.)

One man may look at a rock and see value its value can be used to build a
shelter, the next man may see value the same rock to use as a weapon to smash
another man's head.  But the rock just sitting there has no intrinsic value,
unless it is in the desert, then it might help hold some sand in place so a
plant can grab hold and establish itself....

In the investing world, Scam Street often talks about intrinsic values of
companies versus the value that men are willing to pay, which almost always
has absolutely nothing to do with the alleged intrinsic value.

With gold the value is the price that another man is willing to pay using
another medium of exchange (currency, rice, chicken, whatever) regardless of
the concept of "intrinsic value".