homestead - Re: [Homestead] gold back currency anyone?

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] gold back currency anyone?
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 18:14:23 -0800 (PST)

James, This is from a blog responding to a comment about gold not having
intrinsic value. I am posting it as a 'devil's advocate" reply to your
statements only. I have never been a gold bug, James. I used to laugh at or
ignore the wacky ideas of those who were. I am just re-thinking my position,
that's all that I am doing.......................................

It's staggeringly naieve to claim gold has no intrinsic value. It has many
commercial applications.

It is the only money that has been acceptable for all of recorded history.
Claiming this is an "irrational belief" is just silly. Please point out one
other belief system that has survived that time frame. Gold was money before
Jesus was born.

Gold is divisible and its value to weight ratio is extremely high. You can
have ten grand of gold in your pocket and not even notice it is there.

The point of gold as a store of value is that it is a store of value. A cow
is also a store of value, as is a truck load of steel beams.

Keeping a cow in your pocket is difficult. If you want to buy something that
both parties agree is worth 1/4 of a cow this presents a problem. If you
wanted to carve off a quarter of the cow and keep the rest of your purchasing
power for later the cow would probably not co-operate with your scheme and
unhelpfully die.

Gold gets around this difficulty.

Also if I am a merchant (which I am in real life) I wouldn't want the truck
load of steel beams. I know people that could use a truck load of steel beams
but right now they have no projects and no way to pay me. Also I don't want
to trade steel beams to complete a completely different transaction.

Gold however works for me. I can take a 1/10 ounce coin with complete
confidence that even in a Mad Max society gold will be accepted for payment.
This has in fact happened over and over through history. Gold was the
difference between Auschwitz and three meals a day in the Warsaw ghetto -
probably the most extreme example of societal break down in the last century.

Attaching value to a series of zeros and ones in a banks computer is more
irrational than believing in mankinds only long term store of value. Gold has
been accepted by every ethnic, language, political or religious force the
world has ever seen.