homestead - Re: [Homestead] gold back currency anyone?

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] gold back currency anyone?
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 08:34:55 -0800 (PST)

That makes sense. Do you offhand know of the law that says a contract based
on gold is void? I am somewhat a fan of the cartoonist R. Crumb (Fritz the
Cat). A few years ago, he traded, using a legal contract, his 'notebook' of
drawings for an estate in France. No currebcy of any kind was used.

I know of people in this country who have bought/sold items based on the
official value of gold, to keep, say, things "under the radar:. In other
words say you had two acres of land you wanted to sell your cousin. The land
is worth $800 an acre in FRN. If he sells it to you for 2 oz. of gold,
legally you have sold it to him for $100. You have to pay no cap gains, he
doesn't care about the cost basis, everyone is happy. ?