homestead - Re: [Homestead] New subscriber

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] New subscriber
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 12:28:28 -0500

> A deep well (the water tastes really good) - the pump needs to be converted
> to solar as soon as possible.

Cool beans, I've been thinking about converting my well pump to solar.
Not sure where to start, though. I'm only pumping from 150'. For the
money and security of it, I think it's a good project.

> That is the biggest financial draw here - electric for water. The year
> round temps are moderate enough to not required much in the way of a/c or
> heat (except for some nights to prevent some pipes from freezing).

I grew up and lived in Florida most of my life. The gardening season
(winter in Miami, planting time in February near Tampa) is also the
dry season. We could grow just about anything, but irrigation is a
must.

Big benefit of being in that climate is you don't need to spend so
much time gearing up for winter.

Rob - Va