homestead - Re: [Homestead] A slang question

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A slang question
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 10:10:21 -0500

bob ford wrote:
But Lynn, do you know how cold it gets in Maine. They have entire 48 hour periods where the temperature never rises above freezing.
C'mon, Bob.....that's underwear weather! What gets out the heavy coat and mukluks are the 2-week periods when it goes to -20 and sits there....although if the sun comes out, which is often the case when it's quite cold like that, being outside really isn't bad. We used to do a several-week trek in that coldest part of the winter, on snowshoes, with all our camping gear in a tote sled. Really wasn't that bad; you just have to get ready for it and keep a cool head.
And from reading Stephen King in my youth, ME sounds like an altogether spooky place;
Maybe King has give a lot of folks that idea? I know the guy, he's a really nice guy, just regular folks, and common as an old shoe, nothing scary about him.. He and his wife have done a lot for this state, so I guess if he adds a 'flavor' it might well be a prerogative of those who can.....He has a really nice set of gates, made by an old Waldo County hippie :-) ; I watched 'em get put together. I should have been a metalworker....

I've actually never waded through any of his fiction stuff.....not a fiction fan.
SJ