homestead - Re: [Homestead] a musical question

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] a musical question
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:19:18 -0800 (PST)

-- On Tue, 12/2/08, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> The Carter family farm is a few miles west of Bristol (the
> Birthplace of
> Country Music) and is now an semi-open-air theater called
> the Carter Fold where
> all and sundry Bluegrass and Folk perormers give concerts
> every weekend with a
> couple of big festivals each year.

Glad to hear recognition that Nashville is not the only place for country
music. My niece didn't recognize Doc Watson, pointing out the she wouldn't
know anyone wasn't "country" music. I responded that I grew up in the
country, and lived in Nashville, and I feel confident in saying that
Nashville is not country. Which is nothing against much good music that has
been recorded there.
I have a CD of the original "Bristol sessions" where the Carter's and Jimmy
Rodgers were first recorded, and I think the first recording of Uncle Dave
Macon, who was already a respected (revered?) country musician.
Van Dell