homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dispatching a Goose

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dispatching a Goose
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:16:55 -0500

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 7:54 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I did pack the goose with apples and onions, but
> found that it was nearly as greasy as duck. Duck is the greasiest fowl.

Waterfowl do have a lot of fat, but they don't have to be greasy after
cooking. My son prepared Thanksgiving dinner this year and cooked duck.
Yummy and not greasy. There are several ways to deal with the fat, but
basically, the goal is to get a good deal of it out of the bird, and roast
at a low temperature to avoid burning the fat and smoking you and your loved
ones out of your home. (Something that has never happened to me, of
course..<g>)

Cathy