homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dispatching a Goose

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dispatching a Goose
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:21:09 EST

> >Any advice on how to kill a goose (gander)? I use killing cones for
> the chickens, cut the throat and bleed them out. A goose won't fit in
> them. I don't want to get the feathers dirty, because the idea is to
> dry pluck and save the down. Do you wring the neck or cut? Has anyone
> here used the down?

We used to keep a lot of geese. A killing cone big enough for the goose is
best. But a big gander is strong and getting him in the cone risks life and
limb (and I'm not talking about his). Failing that, the best method we found
was chopping off the head.

We drove two large (20d) nails in a log just big enough for the goose neck
but not big enough for the head. If you can manage to tie the feet, the
goose
doesn't flop around so much and the feathers don't get so dirty.

We wanted to preserve the feathers for fletching but got the down too. If
you use a killing cone, the feathers loosen somewhat. If you behead, they
don't. Dry plucking is a chore. Worth it though. Nothing better than roast
goose!

James