homestead - [Homestead] Hatching Round 2

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Hatching Round 2
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 14:26:07 -0500

My neighbor has given me 17 eggs to go with the 11 I had, so I have a
full incubator and have started round two of hatching. This time, I
have marked my eggs to reflect the day they were collected and so that I
will be able to tell George's eggs from my own. My oldest egg is 8 days
old, and I am curious to to whether it will hatch being that old. I've
kept them at approximately 60 degrees and have turned them everyday
George's rooster is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, something I had never
heard of, but apparently exists. He was a Golden Lace Wyandotte hen,
too, so I am hoping to get some chicks that look like that.

http://bluelacedred.com/
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/blue_laced_red_wyandotte.html

This variety of Wyandotte is relatively new and came to the United States from England a short time ago. We were able to get our stock from an outstanding breeder here in the states prior to his "closing the door" on this variety and feel fortunate to perpetuate the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte gene pool. The original development of these came
from crossing Silver Laced and Golden Laced varieties of Wyandotte's.
After much work the Blue Laced Red was developed from this cross. The
blue gene will color the chicks either light blue or dark blue in the
lacing (the area around the reddish colored feathers) in both the
baby chicks and the mature birds. Therefore you may have birds that
vary somewhat in appearance but still display the beautiful colors of
this very rare and unusual chick. Mature Blue Laced Red Wyandotte's
lay brown eggs and are medium in size with the deep - round
-Wyandotte appearance.

My own rooster is a mutt. I had a wonderful, beautiful, gigantic turken
rooster that I loved. In the Spring, I got some 'pullets' and as it
turned out, one of the girls was a boy. Unfortunately, I did not
discover this until he killed my turken rooster. My new rooster is part
RIR, and probably part Wyandotte. He's pretty big, mostly white, with
some red on his wings and back. He's rather pretty, but I miss my turken.

I still have 19 chicks...tomorrow, 16 of them will be a week old.
If I can get that percentage again, that will give me 38 new birds,
hopefully half of which will be roosters for meat and half will be hens
for eggs/trading. Time will tell.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda
http://www.myspace.com/tervetuloa13