homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sneezing

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sneezing
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:11:40 -0600

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 9:32 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2008, at 8:22 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:
>
>> Mother didn't want this for me. I just want to be an editor again
>> (though, I must say, more and more I'm getting tapped for editing more
>> than for pushing other bureaucratic paper.
>
> Good for you, Marie. May that trend grow.

It almost certainly will unless I become way too abrasive in a fit of
pique (so far I've modulated it enough so that upper management is
ostentaciously nice to me, probably because they don't want to read
about it in the local fish wrap -- I am actually personal friends with
some well-connected journalists, a fact that I've fed out quietly).
The ideal would be for me to retire and then get a cushy contract -- I
first got involved with the Board by doing charity editing, and going
back to that would be nice, since the contract wouldn't be pathetic as
it was in the old days. I'm going to a retirement workshop next week,
so I can find out just what I need to retire.

If the country had universal health insurance, I never would have gone
to work for anyone, and if I hadn't had a spouse with profound medical
problems -- had I been on my own -- I wouldn't have either. But you
make your choices. Oh, and just by the way, if the country had
universal health insurance, our auto industry wouldn't be in such sad
shape either.

Marie