homestead - Re: [Homestead] History of egg color

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] History of egg color
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:35:39 -0600

Karen L. Black wrote:
Sage writes:

I recently read where they are now feeding chickens brown
tinted chalk and that makes a white egg chicken lay brown eggs.
I think this is pretty unlikely. Could you find the source of that claim?

It was somewhere on the Internet, which of course you can't always believe, and I haven't found the reference again but I'll keep looking. However, I would not leave it past today's Tysons and the like to find a cheap way to make an egg bring in more money. The article said the eggs came out light brown, but still were able to command better pricing, which was the point of it all. Knowing how agribusiness works, I don't really doubt it.

--Sage