homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tractor, one last time

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>, Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tractor, one last time
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:06:37 -0700

On Nov 20, 2008, at 7:39 AM, Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

Dear Don and Gene),

Knowing our discussions we've had about peak oil, financial collapse and the rest, do you think we're (I'm) totally nuts to pursue buying a large machine that uses fossil fuel (but could use biodiesel)?

I expect that the price of both gas and diesel will modulate along for awhile but then gradually rise as supplies run shorter over the next few decades. Agribusiness is with us for a long time, likely forever. Diesel or an alternative will be available as long as you are alive. Expect the price to fluctuate.

It will cost $5800 or less, but it has the three implements with it (bush hog, blade and scoop). We have hills, do you personally think 20 hp will work? April on the list said they have a 20 hp tractor that works fine on hills.

I feel that twenty hp is too little for a gas tractor. Diesel engines are often of small displacement but put out plenty of power. Twenty hp might be enough in a diesel, I think but I defer to Don on this.

When you say "scoop," do you mean a front loader or a rear drag-and- lift device?

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/1/112-john-deere-750.html

My husband doesn't want a horse or donkey. ;0 No large animals. He has proclaimed that he wishes to travel now and then and poultry is IT.

I plan to add rabbits, but I am of the same mindset. Even if I were a big red meat eater I might not grow hogs or steers.

Horses can do some of the same work as tractors--but I would not expect them to do brushhogging or grading, and I do not believe plowing is good--but keeping large animals has its own costs beyond food, water, fencing, and shelter, as the thread on milk animals show. You don't just go on vacation and leave horses on their own. There are also safety issues. There is a learning curve. There are maintenance issues such as shoeing and harness and health care.

I believe we'd put the tractor to good use on our driveway and in the fields, around by the pond, getting logs for wood, and the list goes on. But it's a chunk of money and with fossil fuels going away over time....

Well, beyond the fuel issue, don't make such a large purchase unless you really see the need.

Just wondering. I hate to pass this up,

There will be many more such opportunities. As the economic storm continues there will be many people who have hobby tools including tractors who will be selling them.

but yet I hate to spend the money on something that will just sit there most of the time. And $5k+ could buy a couple scythes, a load of crusher run gravel and even pay for hired hands to help out if need be, with money left over.

That is the other side of it. You can hire someone to brushhog every few years. You can pay to have the driveway graveled and then pull with truck or car a homemade device to smooth the gravel. Hand pick the big stones, make runoff channels to get water off the road fast and there will be far less maintenance. Train everyone to not drive in the normal wheel path.

Another option, my preferred plan, is to share. It is wasteful for each person to have a full set of vehicles and other expensive tools. Share.

On the other hand, if we do sell our farm one day the tractor could be a nice incentive or 'add on' to sweeten the deal, perhaps.

Bad rationalization, I think.

Just thought I'd ask my elders for advice one last time. I mean that in the nicest, most sincere way. :) It just occurred to me that I should ask my Dad for his opinion, he grew up on a farm but it's been 50 years since he left. His current lifestyle is very far removed, it was like he never looked back. Another reason why it surprised my whole family when we moved to the country and make our meager attempts at homesteading. ;0

Dilemma, dilemma.

Know how to do the Ben Franklin Close? Get a sheet of paper, draw a line down the middle top to bottom. Two headings: Pro and Con. Write down each thing you can think of in the appropriate column. Go with the column that has the longest list.