homestead - Re: [Homestead] tractor - horsepower

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: raving_dove AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tractor - horsepower
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 07:03:52 -0500

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:35 PM, April Frazier <raving_dove AT yahoo.com>wrote:

> We have very steep driveways, and all of our property is inclined. although
> we do not have any fields to speak of, we have a 20 HP Bombardier tractor.
> It is very small for a tractor, and it seems to be just the right size for
> us.

> It isn't big enough to really move any of the boulders we have, but it does
> a lot of work, with the potential for more, for us more than adequately.
>
> All in all, we spent about $6000, for the tractor, and we have never looked
> back. We run biodiesel in it, it's 4 WD, it was in exceptional shape, and as
> a bonus, it has 2 seats so the little one can ride with dad.

April, thanks. That's reassuring. My husband wanted to know what the list
thought before we went to see the tractor. They're asking $5800, don't know
how low they'll be willing to go and they have had another inquiry. It
includes a bush hog, scoop, and blade.

I had thought about biodiesel since this tractor has a diesel engine. It is
sold nearby in our county and there is also a defunct alternative gas plant
in our county that could be ramped up down the road.

Lisa
Lisa