homestead - Re: [Homestead] tractor - horsepower

  • From: April Frazier <raving_dove AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tractor - horsepower
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:35:00 -0800 (PST)

Lisa,

We have very steep driveways, and all of our property is inclined. although
we do not have any fields to speak of, we have a 20 HP Bombardier tractor. It
is very small for a tractor, and it seems to be just the right size for us.
We have several attachments, including a snowblower, and we use the bucket
for snow control.

It isn't big enough to really move any of the boulders we have, but it does a
lot of work, with the potential for more, for us more than adequately.

Just like you, we had a price we wanted to look at, and those were always too
junky, or not enough. We found "Bomby" sitting on the side of the road. We
stopped for a look, and it was just perfect except for the price; about twice
what we wanted to pay! but we found the owner, and he came down to talk to
us. Then he showed us all the attachments!

All in all, we spent about $6000, for the tractor, and we have never looked
back. We run biodiesel in it, it's 4 WD, it was in exceptional shape, and as
a bonus, it has 2 seats so the little one can ride with dad.

Here's hoping you get as good a deal as we did.

April