homestead - [Homestead] tractor - horsepower

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] tractor - horsepower
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:22:13 -0500

Okay, regarding the tractor (JD 750), I've got Don's list to take with us
when we check out the tractor Friday a.m. We decided to at least look at it.
It has all the criteria (as long as it is truly in good shape), the only one
we don't know about is horsepower. It's 20 hp, I've written that we have
hills, from gentle slopes to steep. Is 20 hp enough?

Talked with the owner tonight, they also have hills, and we can try out the
tractor on their land but we'll know in one look if their hills are as steep
as ours. Of course, most of the work in our fields are gentler hills with
occasional steep edges. Our driveway has a nice gradient to it. Every winter
we swear that's why the previous owners sold. ;0

I'm nervous about spending that much money. We even talked tonight about
getting a horse or donkey. My husband's response was he'd rather have a
tractor that he doesn't have to take care of every day, he truly does have
hopes of gigging in Europe within the next year or two (for a couple weeks
here and there).

You guys have been great, please let me know about the horsepower issue - by
mid to late morning tomorrow if you can. I have to call the tractor owner
and make the Friday appt.

Thank you,

Lisa