homestead - Re: [Homestead] Web Bots, was Re: Snow peas and other stuff

  • From: Rebecca Lewinski <rebas_own AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Web Bots, was Re: Snow peas and other stuff
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 00:07:08 -0800

> Rebeccaa, I finally spent a significanyt amount of time on this website. It
> is a bit "busy" for me.

he does cover a LOT of territory! He starts over again each Monday, and just
keeps adding through the week as things come up. His style is not for
everybody, but that's okay.

>Mr. Ure is obviously very intelligent and knowledgeable, but laike his
>predction for the markets this week; he says that he is wagering that tyhe
>markets will fall, but his friend is wagering thwe markets will , instead,
>bounce; so, he wins either way. I could have said that ;-).

It will be interesting to see which way it breaks, and George's analysis of
it this coming week. > I read different parts from peoplenomics to the
commentaries in the general blog. I will re-vist occasional, but if he is
making short-term specific predictions, they are fairly wwell hidden.

if it's regarding stocks? What he shares depends on what he himself is doing
at the moment. The web bot stuff comes and goes, though he does use them as
guides to his picks. His big thing over the last year is to go into
commodities, partly because of things like that wheat rust you reported on
showing up in the web bots some time back. Wheat rust is just one of the
things that's supposed to be upsetting crop yields over the next few years.
> His overall feeling for the future is about the same as Orlov.

The web bots, and thus George, do hit on a lot of things Orlov and futurists
like the Arlington Institute talk about (though George once said he thought
complete isolation was a bad idea, in case one is the target of a home
invasion. Who can help you if you have no neighbors watching out for you?).
But the problem with the web bots is that they pick up on emotions
surrounding events and ideas, rather than pinpointing what the event is. So
is the event going to happen, or are the web bots picking up on people's
expectation that it might? They've done that before. Myself, I take the web
bots as a nudge to be prepared for anything.

One thing I like about the web bots is that they can shine a little light on
where one might want to look for business ideas. Web bots indicate a
stoppage in shipping? Okay, then what products come from elsewhere that I
can learn now to produce? (heh-since all my brooms seem to be made overseas,
I've been thinking of making handmade brooms, after seeing such a setup in
British Columbia. Gorgeous and all materials grown on site--great practical
gift item if nothing else)
Certain parts and tools become hard to come by as imports dry up? Might be
worth setting up a metalworking/machine shop where one can tool new parts or
repair old ones (have an older friend in town, a heating stove supply owner,
who's done just that. Figures one way or another he can make a living when
the Stuff Hits the Fan). Another idea would be to learn to do metal
spinning, which is kind of a lost art but would have a market in an economy
that is seeing its import stream dry up.
Cereal and other crops possibly fail or be in short supply? What
alternatives can I grow now and become familiar with, so that I can market
those successfully later? (Purdue University has some great online resources
for getting ideas, and the state extension services--at least in Washington--
have scads of info and public demonstration gardens).
If the web bots indicate problems or shortages with currency (which they do),
then what local groups are around that have a barter system set in place
(I've found two in my area, FreeCycle and Fourth Corner Exchange).

glad you took time to visit the site, bob. I've found a number of your links
these last few days pretty informative, by the way.

gotta head to bed!

-Rebecca in the great Northwest
See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of
your life
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/119463819/direct/01/