homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dimitri Orlov - radio interview - re-inventing collapse

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dimitri Orlov - radio interview - re-inventing collapse
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 14:48:53 -0800 (PST)

I just kept following links and found Orlov's presentation from last week on
the five stages of collapse. he says at the end that his message is hopeful
because you will know what to expect. If you take the time to read the whole
page (it is long) , to me, there is very little hopeful, except that maybe
the fed. gov't will become only a sliver of its present size, by necesiity.
This presentation came after the book that Don read was
published..............bobford

an excerpt :

"........So let us summarize our findings. Financial collapse is already
quite far along, and is guaranteed to run its course. Bailouts can make
insolvent institutions look solvent for a time by providing liquidity, but
one thing they cannot provide is solvency. For instance, no matter how much
we bail out the auto companies, making any more cars will still be a bad
idea. Similarly, no matter how much money we give to banks, their loan
portfolios, loaded down with houses built in places that are inaccessible
except by car, will still end up being worthless. By continuously
nationalizing bad debt, the country will make itself into a bad credit risk,
and foreign lenders will walk away. Hyperinflation and loss of imports will
follow.

17.
Commercial collapse is likewise guaranteed to happen. One key import is oil,
and here the loss of imports will cause much of the economy to shut down,
because in this country nothing moves without oil. But it should be possible
to come up with new, far less energy-intensive ways to provide for the basic
needs.

18.
Political collapse is guaranteed as well. As tax receipts dwindle,
municipalities and states will no longer be able to meet the minimal
maintenance requirements for existing infrastructure: roads, bridges, water
and sewer mains, and so forth. Municipal services, including police, fire
departments, snow removal and garbage collection, will also be curtailed or
eliminated. The better-organized communities may be able to find ways to
compensate, but many communities will become impassable and uninhabitable,
generating a flood of internal refugees..............

http://energybulletin.net/node/47157