homestead - [Homestead] Fall Gardens

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Fall Gardens
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 21:17:59 -0500

So how did they come out? We talked about putting them in, I'm
interested in comparing notes.

In the south central Virginia Piedmont, summer broke the last week of
August. September was cool for the most part. The rains came back in
August as well. It's not been wet, but its rained enough that we are
not droughty like last fall.

I got in my salad mix early and it's grown real well. Kale, turnips,
collards, several varieties of each. I also have some nice cabbages
growing and green onions. I planted some onions from sets and some
Walla Walla from seeds that I grew. I've had radishes and lettuce. I
planted some Simpson lettuce and had some volunteer butterhead lettuce
from spring lettuce that went to seed. The volunteer lettuce was
really nice.

Peppers continued until the freeze in October (the 20th or so),
tomatoes kind of hung in there. I also had summer squash come back
from the summer drought and be productive until the freeze. I ran over
the garden with a disk last week and planted oats and crimson clover.
I left the little area with the salad greens and cabbages. There is
still some simpson lettuce, but with good freezes in the forecast all
week, that may be history.

All in all, I had a better fall garden this year than last and the
salad should keep me in vitamins and greens until spring. I still need
to get the garlic planted before November is over!

Rob - Va