homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bev, how was hunting?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bev, how was hunting?
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:39:17 -0800

Deer are amazing critters. Stupid as all get out, and then again, smart as all get out. We've had the blooming things look at the Suburban and then run right into us. I mean, talk about a death wish. Doesn't phase the car but it sure does knock a deer arse over tea kettle!

Deer season is over. Has been for a couple of weeks. The bucks now walk right in the yard. Stroll down the road. Waltz up our driveway. Our private road is 2.5 miles long and we now see them out in every field. We'll see them now until the snow flies and then they'll move down to Ruckers and the other folks who feed cattle in the valley. We won't see another buck until about this time next year!

Nothing. The horse was no problem tonight, but nearest neighbor was
running his tractor and I couldn't hear well. The woods are wet, and it
was foggy and humid. In that environment, sound carries, so probably
the tractor kept them away. I really need to be up on the mountain..next
time, I'll head up the hill and try to catch them as they come up out of
the ravine. <sigh>
My only consolation for the time was that I really enjoyed watching the
bats hunt for their food. Amazing critters, bats.