homestead - Re: [Homestead] The positive side to all this bad news

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The positive side to all this bad news
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:50:20 -0800

The flag he waved today was the jobs AND that they are an integral part of his grand plan to get America off the foreign oil. Big sad eyes looking slightly skyward and a speech about how if they aren't rescued, then his grand plan can't be fulfilled. In other words, folks, if we don't bail the auto companies out it is all our fault if the unemployment rates go up and we use more fossil fuel. He ended by saying "everyone has to do their part."

Lynda, wondering where the airline bag is when you need one!

P.S. My little 1/2 Chevy is well past 300,000 miles and blew a clutch once. Needs plugs upon occasion and a regular oil change and that's the end of that!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>

My ten year old Dodge just turned up 180,000 miles and it is still going
strong. This last year I have had to do more than the usual maintenance but
it is still cheaper than buying another one.

The pressure from the Japanese have improved quality in US autos. But they
are still selling the big pickups and large cars. We like to blame them for
that but the truth is that a combination of advertising and our culture
prefers those larger and more profitable cars.

Unfortunately the auto industry as practiced by the us companies is a
dinosaur. There are many reasons to let them fail and restructure. But I
suspect they will wave the bloody flag of the millions of job losses and get
a bailout in the end.

Don Bowen KI6DIU