homestead - Re: [Homestead] Self dentistry?

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Self dentistry?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:19:47 -0600

No, it's my fat lower lip. I've had good success with tape before. I'd trust this before I'd trust the nearest hospital. If I'd broken my arm, I'd definitely go to the hospital, only one further away that I trust. When you live far from competent medical care, you have to make decisions like this--to go, or not to go.

OK, I called the dentist who says to wear the mouth guard another 24 hrs to keep my bite aligned, continue taking ibuprofen, and try to ice it. He says I'll know by this afternoon from the pain if I'll need to come in and gave me his home number. If it gets worse instead of better, I'll go. He's the kind of doctor that would meet me there at midnight if he had too. He says in the future I should wear my mouth guard when I feed the sheep!

Years ago when I was leading wilderness tours, I had a three year certification for wilderness medicine which allowed me to treat emergency situations more than three hours from help. Not that I remember all of it now, but assessing a situation is always a must.

Thanks,

--Sage

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:39:16 -0800 (PST)