homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our new president, whoever he may be

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our new president, whoever he may be
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 21:40:04 -0600

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 9:04 PM, SJC <indexer AT localnet.com> wrote:

> Another point about suicides; I know in sociology and psych classes we
> were taught that happiness is a reflection of ability to deal with life,
> and that suicide reflects the inability to do so.....

Some of it may be simple genetic tendency also. My family, with
genetic origins in Scotland, has a noticeable tendency toward
depression, and until this generation someone has killed him- or
herself in every generation. One of my sisters tried really, really
hard but only ended up in an ICU for a week with total heart block.
With an American-style economic system, the Scandinavians might be
miserable *and* even more suicidal. It's hard to run that experiment.

Marie