homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water issues in CA

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water issues in CA
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 12:36:00 EDT

> >That happens when people try to live and farm in a desert.

My thought was just along these lines. I said to myself, 'Yeah, what ARE the
odds!"

Just like the dot.bomb debacle, the housing bubble, peak oil, and the
upcoming Great Society part Deux, every major problem and disaster we've
faced -
people have been predicting it for years. In the above cases and the water
in
California, not just predicting it but rather "here's the figures, here's
what's
going to happen, how do you see we avoid this?"

I've got to go today and pump up water for the radishes and lettuce and
spinach. We are in a multi-year drought. Thank the gods for that little
creek
that never dries and in fact never abates. But this is not a desert climate
and
if the past is any indication, the rain will come back.

But in SoCal where many of those farms are located it never rains enough to
farm. Bone dry desert cities all over the South West have been expanding as
though if you just had enough money, you could provoke the rivers into
supplying
more and more and more water.

Boo-hoo, I'm in a desert and there's no water to farm. You reckon!?

James