homestead - Re: [Homestead] The cast iron bread thing..

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The cast iron bread thing..
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 10:41:57 -0400

> > I'm totally unplugged about breadmaking. I just do it. It's such a
> > habit these last 60 years that I never think about what I'm doing.
> > Basically I take whatever's around, oats or wheat or barley from
> > breakfast, add some liquid and the yeast, let it sit a while, add
> > flour
> > and often cheese or steamed wheat or whatever (I like nubbles), mix
> > and
> > knead, shove it in the oven (gas over, pilot light), let rise, punch
> > down, let rise on a flat medium weight pan sort of like a cookie
> > sheet,
> > again in the oven, when almost as high as it "should" be (don't ask,
> > no
> > clue!), I turn on oven. Nose reminds me to check. I used to threaten
> > to write it all down, but while I was threatening the boys all learned
> > to do it by having to help from time to time, now no need to do it,
> > but
> > those are the basics.
> >
> > Where are Don and Gene when ya need 'em?
>
> Did I miss a question?
>
> Susan Jane, my bread-making system is about like yours.

No clue why I may have information. My bread making system is very simple:
Open package.
Dump contents in bread machine.
Read instructions.
Dump in remaining ingredients (sometimes it helps to read instructions
before opening package).
Turn on bread machine.
Come back in a couple of hours.

Don Bowen KI6DIU