homestead - Re: [Homestead] The cast iron bread thing..

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The cast iron bread thing..
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 01:49:17 -0400

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:
A question though, probably a stupid one. My bread had risen (twice) and
looked like it would be a beautiful loaf. I put it in the oven where it fell
an inch or so while baking. It didn't completely cave in, but what's the
problem? I have fresh yeast. This has happened with each loaf of bread I've
made. Is it the movement from getting it into the oven?
No clue about cast iron except that it wouldn't heat up real fast when put in the oven like a thinner pan. I'd put bread in over a tad under-risen maybe, sounds like it might be over-rising and then it's apt to sink some when that happens.

I'm totally unplugged about breadmaking. I just do it. It's such a habit these last 60 years that I never think about what I'm doing. Basically I take whatever's around, oats or wheat or barley from breakfast, add some liquid and the yeast, let it sit a while, add flour and often cheese or steamed wheat or whatever (I like nubbles), mix and knead, shove it in the oven (gas over, pilot light), let rise, punch down, let rise on a flat medium weight pan sort of like a cookie sheet, again in the oven, when almost as high as it "should" be (don't ask, no clue!), I turn on oven. Nose reminds me to check. I used to threaten to write it all down, but while I was threatening the boys all learned to do it by having to help from time to time, now no need to do it, but those are the basics.

Where are Don and Gene when ya need 'em?

SusanJane, in Maine