homestead - Re: [Homestead] The cast iron bread thing..

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The cast iron bread thing..
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 06:08:06 -0700

On Oct 31, 2008, at 10:49 PM, SJC wrote:

I'm totally unplugged about breadmaking. I just do it. It's such a
habit these last 60 years that I never think about what I'm doing.
Basically I take whatever's around, oats or wheat or barley from
breakfast, add some liquid and the yeast, let it sit a while, add flour
and often cheese or steamed wheat or whatever (I like nubbles), mix and
knead, shove it in the oven (gas over, pilot light), let rise, punch
down, let rise on a flat medium weight pan sort of like a cookie sheet,
again in the oven, when almost as high as it "should" be (don't ask, no
clue!), I turn on oven. Nose reminds me to check. I used to threaten
to write it all down, but while I was threatening the boys all learned
to do it by having to help from time to time, now no need to do it, but
those are the basics.

Where are Don and Gene when ya need 'em?

Did I miss a question?

Susan Jane, my bread-making system is about like yours.